Credit Card Eligibility CheckerHow to check if you’re eligible for a credit card?
If you have a poor credit file, or little credit history, qualifying for a credit card may be difficult. Applying to many different providers could potentially mean lots of hard credit checks, which show as a hit marker on your credit file and could have an adverse effect on your credit score.
The thimbl. credit card is designed to be accessible to as many people as possible, even those with poor credit scores. And our free credit card eligibility checker means you can find out if you’re eligible using a soft credit check with thimbl’ s eligibility checker before you apply for a credit card, meaning you can check to see if you are eligible with no impact to your credit score.
39.9% APR Representative (variable)
What is a credit card eligibility checker?
A credit card eligibility checker tells you whether your details match a credit card provider’s lending criteria. Therefore, it gives an indication of whether you are likely to be accepted when you submit the full application, although being eligible doesn’t necessarily guarantee that you will be accepted as the credit card provider is obligated to complete additional checks such as a hard credit check.
How lenders assess your credit card eligibility
Lenders use a variety of information to determine your credit card eligibility.
- Age and residency. You’ll need to be over 18 and resident in the UK.
- A way of making repayments. You’ll need a UK bank account and debit card.
- Affordability. They will look at your employment status, plus your income and regular outgoings to work out if you can realistically repay what you borrow.
- Credit history. They will look at your credit file to see what you’ve borrowed in the past and how well you’ve managed your finances.
- Credit Score. Providers will use your credit score to assess whether they are confident that you can meet at least the minimum repayments. A low or non-existent credit history can sometimes work against you.
The perks of having thimbl.® in your wallet
Why you should check your credit card eligibility before applying
When you apply for a credit card, the provider will conduct a “hard search” of your credit file. This type of search is recorded on your file. Lenders might view too many searches in a short time as a sign that you are having financial problems, making them less likely to accept you.
Therefore, it’s a good idea to check your credit card eligibility before you apply. Credit card eligibility checkers only make a “soft search” of your credit file. Lenders can’t see soft searches and so they have no impact on your credit score.
Check before you apply with thimbl.
Thimbl’s credit card eligibility checker can give you an answer within 60 seconds and without affecting your credit score. If it says you’re likely to be accepted, it’s then really easy to continue applying for a thimbl. credit card if you decide to do so.
- For all credit levels, from poor to excellent
- Checking won’t affect your credit rating
- From 39.9% APR Representative (variable)
Designed for all credit scores from poor to excellent
If you don’t have a good credit score, qualifying for a credit card can be hard, but thimbl. is designed to be inclusive of any level of credit score, from poor to excellent. You may qualify for an initial credit limit of up to £1,200. This can grow if you manage your account well.
Using thimbl. responsibly and making more than the minimum repayment each month can also help you build your credit score for the future. However, there are many factors that can affect your credit score and it’s important to stay on top of all of your accounts, ensuring you always make payments on time.
You get all this with thimbl.
- Tap and go - Quick and easy contactless payments up to £100.
- Secure banking app - Manage your credit card online, wherever and whenever you like, with the free mobile app.
- A trusted service – thimbl. is rated Excellent on Trustpilot
Who can use the thimbl. credit card eligibility checker?
Anyone can check their credit card eligibility provided they are at least 18 years old and a resident in the UK.
Will checking my credit card eligibility affect my credit score?
No, when you use the thimbl. eligibility checker, only a “soft search” on your credit file is made. Other providers can’t see that the search has been done and it has no impact on your credit score. If you are eligible and then decide to go on to complete a full application for a thimbl. card, a “hard search” of your credit file is completed.
Learn More About thimbl. by Reading Our Frequently Asked Questions
Still not sure? Learn more by reading our Frequently Asked Questions section below.
The perks of having thimbl.® in your wallet